‘Questioned Modi Govt, Not Army’: Digvijaya Singh After Surgical Strike Comment Sparks Row

Congress leader and former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Digvijaya Singh on Tuesday sought to clarify his comments on the 2019 Pulwama terror attack and the 2016 surgical strike.

While speaking in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday, Digvijaya Singh said that the Centre talks about surgical strikes and claim to have killed many but till date, there is no proof of it. Digvijaya Singh also said that the government should tell how 40 CRPF jawans lost their lives in Pulwama, from where the terrorist could have brought 300 kg RDX?

On Tuesday, Singh said that his comments were not about the Army. They were directed towards the Narendra Modi government. “I have held our Armed Forces in highest esteem. Two of my sisters were married to Naval Officers. There is no question of my asking questions to the Defence Officials. My questions are to the Modi Govt [sic],” he tweeted. 

Referring to Praveen Davar, a former army officer, Digvijay Singh tweeted, “I have given the highest respect to our armed forces. Two of my sisters got married to Naval officers. I agree with Praveen Davar (@PraveenDavar). There is no question of asking anything from the defense officials. My questions are to the Modi government.

Digvijay Singh on Monday said that the government has not yet given proof of surgical strike. “The central government talks about the surgical strike that we have killed so many people, but there is no proof,” he said.

Singh also attacked the Prime Minister over the the terrorist attack in Pulwama in 2019. The Congress leader claimed that during the Pulwama attack, the CRPF officers had said that the soldiers should be moved by aircraft, but the Prime Minister did not agree.

Digvijay Singh said that 40 soldiers of the CRPF were martyred in Pulwama. “CRPF officers had requested the Prime Minister to airlift all the soldiers, but the Prime Minister did not agree. How did such a mistake happen,” he asked. He said, “Till date no report has been placed before the Parliament on Pulwama. They (BJP) claimed that surgical strike was done, but did not show proof. They (BJP) only spread lies.”

The Congress leader said that the government should tell
1. Who is responsible for the inexcusable intelligence failure that led to the martyrdom of 40 of our CRPF jawans?
2. From where could the terrorist get 300 kg RDX?
3. Why was CRPF’s request to airlift CRPF jawans turned down?

‘DON’T NEED PROOF FROM ARMY’: RAHUL GANDHI

Congress MP Rahul Gandhi  said the Congress does not need any proof from the armed forces. The Congress also distanced itself from Singh’s remarks saying his views were personal and didn’t reflect the party’s stance. 
Congress leader Jairam Ramesh tweeted, “The views expressed by senior leader Digvijaya Singh are his own and do not reflect the position of Congress. Surgical strikes were carried out before 2014 by the UPA government. Congress has supported & will continue to support all military actions that are in the national interest.”

2016 SURGICAL STRIKE

In September 2016, four terrorists of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed entered the Army camp in Uri near the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir and launched an audacious suicide attack on an Indian Army brigade Headquarters, leaving 19 soldiers dead.

In retaliation, the Indian Army troops including the commandos from various Para (Special Forces) units deployed in Jammu and Kashmir carried out strikes across the border on multiple targets. Since then, the government has been observing September 29 as “Surgical Strike Day”.

Advertisement
Web Hyip
Previous articleThese NFL playoffs have been short on upsets. That’s absolutely fine
Next articleLakhimpur Kheri Violence: SC To Pronounce Order On Ashish Mishra’s Bail Plea On Wednesday